Sunday, March 22, 2020

Book: Get Well Soon

Get Well Soon: History's Worst Plagues and the Heroes Who Fought ThemGet Well Soon: History's Worst Plagues and the Heroes Who Fought Them by Jennifer Wright
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Overall a good book, and I really enjoyed the time with the author, who's commentary lightens up the mood, just a bit but not to much to take away from the seriousness of the topic. I was aware of some of the material, like the black death, dancing plague and Cholera but others especially more modern ones I didn't know as much about such as Polio, LE and Lobotomy (not really a disease). In most books I read Woodrow Wilson, who I at first thought was a great liberal president, comes up as a rather negative character, this is no difference. 

The Chapters line up for the most part with specific diseases or outbreaks:


 

Diseases affect people, so there are as usual the references to the Heroes, Villains and Victims:


In some way Typhoid Mary is maybe the most interesting character, as I'm not sure if she was a villain or a victim of society. A short biography of her life is shown below. What do you think?



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment